What is a SSL Certificate?
The primary reason why SSL is used is to keep sensitive information sent across the Internet encrypted so that only the intended recipient can understand it. This is important because the information you send on the Internet is passed from computer to computer to get to the destination server. Any computer in between you and the server can see your credit card numbers, usernames and passwords, and other sensitive information if it is not encrypted with an SSL certificate. When an SSL certificate is used, the information becomes unreadable to everyone except for the server you are sending the information to. This protects it from hackers and identity thieves.
In addition to encryption, a proper SSL certificate also provides authentication. This means you can be sure that you are sending information to the right server and not to a criminal’s server. Why is this important? The nature of the Internet means that your customers will often be sending information through several computers. Any of these computers could pretend to be your website and trick your users into sending them personal information. It is only possible to avoid this by using a proper Public Key Infrastructure (PKI), and getting an SSL Certificate from a trusted SSL provider.
How do I know if I have it or not?
When SSL is working properly you'll see a lock in your browser's address bar:
Why do I need SSL Certificates?
- As mentioned above, it encrypts all the information between your end user and your web store. Having someone get their identity stolen while using your web store isn't worth the headache. Our SSL Certificate come with an insurance policy of US$10,000 Ask us for more details.
- It's required by Credit Card companies such as Paypal, NCB Bank, Scotia Bank and MUCH MORE.
- People won't trust your web store without it. People have been well trained to look for the lock in their browser, and won't buy without it, even if you manage to find a way to not need it technologically.
- There is a pattern: browsers such as Google, and Firefox are incrementally adding warnings for HTTP, raising their expectations each month as the web moves further towards a fully-encrypted future.
- WIth SSL Certificates - Encrypted Websites Will Now Get A Boost In Google Search Rankings READ MORE
I am ready to buy an SSL Certificate what does it cost?HBJamaica offers SSL Certificates at low prices (billed annually). Please contact our office if you desire a quotation and we will be happy to assist you. SIMPLY drop us a QUICK email at: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will email to you a quotation for this service.
Was this answer helpful?
To report any abusive site or activity, please email email@example.com and our security team...
HBJamaica requires DMCA notices to be filed via fax or letter. The complaint must include full...
In an effort to keep our customers informed, we have compiled a few FAQs on ths subject of SSL...
Password Selection It is important to have a password that is easy to remember, but hard to...
A distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack is when a number of servers on the internet...